How To Make Your Career Dreams Come True
Ever since I can remember I dreamt of growing up and inspiring people. I dreamt of moving to Los Angeles to be in the film industry my entire life. In my dream, I lived near the beach. I had a beautiful and sophisticated partner by my side. Cute kids. A motorcycle. A huge mansion. Two mustangs. Two dogs and one cat. A white tiger named "Gizmo". In my dream I would be traveling around the world, exploring cultures, filming various Spielberg type-films. When I wasn't winning Oscars for every other film I made, I was donating money to various charities. I envisioned this my entire life and everything I did since I can remember I tried to turn that dream into a reality. My story is still being written but, as of right now I do not own two mustangs, Gizmo does not exist, and I’m not even in the film business anymore.
BUT, I do live in Los Angeles. I do live near the beach. I did have a loving partner by my side. I do have a cute kid. I had a cat named "Jinxy" and currently on the hunt for some little pups. I do travel around the world, exploring different cultures. I do have a successful career. Except the dream is different than what I envisioned. But, that's life isn't it? Things never turn out the way you plan but that doesn't mean you still can't reach your goals and find happiness. When people ask me how I was able to become successful I usually say "luck", "hard work", etc. Cliche stuff. Not necessarily because I was playing coy but because I spend so much time making things happen I rarely stop to think about how I even arrived at this point. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not yet but I'll write more about that in another post, lol.
At first, I followed the J.J. Abrams Mystery Box philosophy. Never give away how the trick works, just let everyone be amazed and wonder. But, the truth is we live in a different culture now and that can come across as arrogant or selfish. Even more importantly, my dream was always to inspire people. So, if someone asks me how I found success and gets inspired by that… mission accomplished. Again, still living my dream. So, how did I do it?
Let me show you.
1. Inspire Yourself With Your Vision: Create a vision board of your ideal life. An easy way to do this is to create a Pinterest board. Some people practice being as detailed as possible. I tried that out and found it difficult when things didn't go according to how I envisioned it. A much healthier approach is actually being a bit more general. Next, to write out your vision. Grab a sheet a paper and get writing. Make it real with your words. Turn it into goals. Your goals, should be detailed with actionable steps with timetables. Don’t just say “Be a rockstar” instead write “I want to be a rockstar within the first year. I should talk to my buddy’s friend in the music industry and ask if he can listen to a demo next week."
2. Adapt: Like I said before, Nothing ever goes according to plan. Your dream will not come to fruition the way you envisioned it. There is no way around this. It isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s the truth so understand that in the beginning. Which is why I think you should be general with your vision. Actionable steps, yes. Vision, no. You don’t want to be disappointed when things play out differently. You have to adapt. The world changes and as technology keeps evolving it's changes faster. Don't get left behind. You have rebound to missteps and learn from your mistakes. You even have to adapt to things going when they go right. This sounds strange but my business partner and I experienced too much success too soon when we started our agency and were not prepared how to handle it. You’ll always have to adapt. Another example, I started out as a filmmaker, but photography is what most people know me for. I hated marketing and now I’m considered a marketing guru. I once thought self-help s*it was cheesy, now I'm writing a self-help blog post. I adapted because I saw opportunities forming and I didn’t dismiss them as they came.
3. Stay In the Know: Most common question during my consultations and meetings, “how do you know all of this?” Easy, I "stay int he know". I pay attention to what's going on with everything. I don’t dismiss or belittle anything. No, I do not listen to Selena Gomez but I know who’s she’s dating. No, I don’t know the names of everyone in Donald Trump’s cabinet but I do know the policies they’re trying to accomplish. You should always read the popular trades within all industries. I use Twitter as a great tool for staying in the know. I typically discover breaking news slightly faster than most people. It ended up being a great timesaver too because information came to me from one source vs seeking it out from various sources. Regardless of how you do it, stay in the know and DO NOT fall into the trap of being dismissive. Being dismissive is always going to set you back. Example. As soon as I mentioned Twitter and in your head you thought... Did he just say Twitter? I don’t get Twitter. Waste of time. Don't do that. Instead keep an open mind and look for ways to stay in the know.
4. Do Not Fu*8ing Wait - I love this step. This step defines if you’re really going to be successful or not. Are you the person who is waiting for the perfect moment? Timing needs to be right? Not now but tomorrow. Well… fu8k. that. Don’t wait. Not even for a second. This scares everyone. They freeze when they hear me say this. Let me explain why you shouldn’t wait… the perfect moment does not exist and whatever it is that you’re trying to accomplish to be successful is not some “no one has ever thought of this before” concept. What makes your dream so special is YOU. Which means YOU have to put yourself out there. If you have nothing to show? Put yourself out there and get feedback about your ideas. It’s done but not ready? Tease it to the public. Tease it to your friends and family. Drive them nuts with talking about it so much. You feel like you’re rushing things? You are. That’s the point. You’re putting yourself out there. Putting yourself out there is going to be scary anyway. Might as well get it over with. Januel+Johnson was a joke between me and the person I was madly in love with. It went like this, “If we did start a company, what should we call ourselves?” “How about Januel and Johnson? I like it!” then when we actually took the steps to thinking of something we just said “fu8k it”. It was just a placeholder that became our brand.
5. Go Hard and Have Fun - Yes, stay up late. Yes, skip social functions. Yes, you will miss out on things. But, remember this is YOUR dream. So have fun. Enjoy it. If it’s too much work and your dreading it then what the hell are you doing it for? Remember you are making your dream REAL. Again, YOUR DREAM. REAL. Don’t hesitate.
Taking these steps really helped me and I hope they help you too. If you have some steps of your own you'd like to share, leave a comment below. If you're interested in learning more ways about how you can reach your dreams and goals, contact me for a consultation here or shoot me a message on social media.